Suggestion

Rick C. Hodgin rick.c.hodgin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 12:21:30 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Eike Rathke <erack at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On Friday, 2016-01-08 19:52:49 -0500, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
>
> > The category is called *"Metric."*
> >
> > When conveying fractional values, such that 1.2345E-08 (which is
> > 0.000,000,012,345), it would do so in a metric-relative way using the
> > standard milli (10^-3), micro (10^-6), nano (10^-9), pico (10^-12), and
> so
> > on...
> >
> > In the example, the *Metric* display would cause the value to show up
> > as "*12,345
> > pu*" (pico-units) if the thousands separator was used.
>
> Could you give some examples what you think how the format code actually
> should look like?

Eike, I never heard back from you after my reply.

The format would be "Metric" with "Metric:seconds" given for a specific
override for the units name.  And there are a few other options that I
would like to append including a bias that the data may already be in, such
as kilo-units ("Metric[:seconds][:bias=kilo]") and an override base to use,
such as always displaying in milli-units
("Metric[:seconds][:bias=kilo][affix:milli]").

In this way the base is always there:  "Metric"
Based on options, additional values are tagged on with colons:
:unitName
:bias=[tera,giga,mega,kilo,milli,micro,nano,pico]
:affix=[tera,giga,mega,kilo,milli,micro,nano,pico]

Is this acceptable?  Am I ready to begin coding? :-)