Large scale changes on Master

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:48:31 UTC 2016

Hi Jan, *,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:22 PM, jan iversen
<jani at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> The ESC discussed when to make large scale changes on master and whether or
> not the current policy should be changed.
> […]
> Please have a look at:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LargeScaleChanges
>
> And let me know your opinion.

I think it kind of misses the point. It should start with:

Changes that make backporting of other fixes to release branch harder
might be only be merged  *after creation of the x.y.2 release* and
*before branchoff for the next x.y+1 release*.
Why?
the time between the .0 release and the second bugfix release is the
time when most backporting will occur, so this timeframe should be
avoided.

Automatically created changes (changes that  are done by runnning a
prepared script), should be run right before branch-off for the next
x.y+1 cycle. That way it won't interfere with managing the older
branches.

Unsure whether your change falls into that cagegory? Read below....
(then follows description of whether a cosmetic change is one that
hinders backporting, etc)

ciao
Christian