some kind of backward compatibility [was: Update to Firebird 3.0]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Jun 15 11:13:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 04:44:36PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 03:05:57PM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>>  - We make a utility separate from LibO that converts the fb2.5 data
>>    to archive format within an odb. We can even compile that utility
>>    (and fb2.5) with an older MSVC and be done with it. Or we "require"
>>    a system-installed firebird 2.5. Hum.

> But then you require basically fb2.5 and fb3.0 at runtime, or at least
> to convert this. Which is even worse, and either of both might not exist
> (anymore)

Well, we require fb2.5 at runtime to run the utility, and fb3.0 at
runtime to run LibreOffice. No executable requires both.

We do require both at build time, if one wants to build both the
utility and libreoffice in the same "make" invocation.

> I doubt e.g. Debian will provide both so they can be installed
> parallel....

Debian often does so when there are several mutually incompatible file
formats or APIs. E.g. PostgreSQL versions, libdb versions, etc.

--
Lionel