minutes of ESC call ...
michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu Mar 3 16:26:55 UTC 2016
+ Christian, Muthu, Sophie, Stephan, Eike, Norbert, Bjoern, Robinson, janI,
Caolan, Michael, Andars, Kendy, Olivier, David, Miklos, Michael S, Armin,
Thorsten, Bubli, Jan-Marek
* Completed Action Items:
+ submit development budget to board (Bjoern)
+ encourage Turkish hack-fest date confirmation (Bjoern)
+ April 30th -> May 1st.
+ update release plan for 5.2 and 5.3 (Christian)
[ added to the wiki and udpated 5.1 version to account for RC3 ]
+ setup a tinderbox VM for VS. 2015 (Christian)
[ being setup now, planned to hook-up later today ]
+ create the 5.1 projects for pootle (Christian)
[ are being created and synching now - should be available later
then will trigger an update for the template project ]
+ talk around the gerrit update with Norbert (Cloph)
[ gerrit update delayed by the need for 126.96.36.199
planned to update it in-place this weekend (Norbert)
+ was updating to Debian 8 base-line
+ requires creating a new machine etc.
+ will update in-line instead for now. ]
* Pending Action Items:
+ UI changes from non-committers in gerrit: post list to UX team (Kendy)
[ assigned to kendy and push to list ]
+ double-check duplicate libmar/src, update/src (Kendy)
* Release Engineering update (Christian/JanI)
+ got the chance to do a 2nd build (JanI)
+ 5.0.6 RC1 - due April 12th.
+ 5.1.2 RC1 week 11, March 15th
+ planned to be done by Jan
+ Late Features (for 5.1.2)
+ New Slide Transitions: polish
[ ... debugging & work - some Intel fixing ]
+ UserAgent display & tweakage
[ still not done ... ]
+ documentation update planned.
+ Android & iOS Remote
+ updates still planned
* Documentation (Olivier)
+ asking for help on the list to build docs around new features
+ contacted a couple of new guys interested in helping out there
+ setting up internal tooling, keys etc.
+ branching of translations ?
+ since 5.1 - there are lots of new pages in the help
that need translation
+ is 5.1 stable in terms of translation ?
+ new pages arrive in master.
+ already branched translations (Cloph)
+ bug in rc2 tag that made people think there was an issue.
=> why we had RC3 - there is no issue, move along.
+ pootle is currently being filled up as of now
+ tomorrow it will be done: separate master & 5.1 branches.
+ changes on master will not harm translators.
* GSoC 2016 (Thorsten, JanI)
+ 3 admin volunteers: janI, Moggi, Thorsten
+ next step - mid next month: opens for students to apply.
+ last chance to add new GSoC ideas
+ people without projects to mentor: Eike, Caolan, Michael M, Norbert, Andras
+ if you did not get a mentor invite ping us
+ unclear quite where to sign-up; not seen a mail (Bjoern)
+ subject: "GSoC 2016: Invitation to be a Mentor for LibreOffice" from <summerofcode-noreply at google.com>
AI: + poke an admin if you didn't get the memo (All)
resent mail to Bjoern and Michael (janI)
* UX Update (Kendy)
+ statistics being built from the draw survey by Heiko
+ last meeting - finalized the sidebar survey
+ if you have a view - please participate.
+ where do surveys show up ? (Michael)
+ on the planet ?
+ design blog should be subscribed & shows up (Kendy)
+ budget requests from design & docs team
+ lots of GSOC talk.
+ interest there, but need mentors.
* Crashtest update (Caolan)
+ 6 import failures, 0 export failures, 31 coverity
+ new coverity numbers expected by tomorrow
+ expected to shrink.
+ coverity - expected to halve, removed lots of Java bits.
* drop gstreamer 0.10/bump baseline (tdf#94508) (Bjoern)
+ are there parallel installable packages for 1.0 for CentOS6 ? (Michael)
+ don't know if we have packages (Caolan)
AI: + attempt to re-build a recent 1.0 / core spec file on CentOS6 (Cloph)
+ if that fails, abandon it; use a distro package ?
* development budget, late addition: "kill scp2" tender (Bjoern)
+ proposal to tender to kill scp2.
+ has lots of windows installer logic included
+ 15k under-maintained LOC
+ problems caused like GL file-list missing
+ do-able from releng, or tender it ?
+ is it split-able into easy-hacks ? (Kendy)
+ already have auto-install one (Bjoern)
+ are there somewhat mechanical steps ? (Kendy)
+ converted 50 files - and happy !
+ some - like auto-install; can be done in gbuild tdf#90753 (Bjoern)
+ some dark awfulness for Windows.
+ functionality around registry entries,
custom actions etc. (Timar)
+ goal to kill make_installer.pl msidb ? (Michael)
+ goal to kill make_installer for Linux at least (Bjoern)
+ technical level happy (Norbert)
+ not so happy with the tender.
+ not broken just now - why break it (Stephan)
+ concerns wrt. lack of pressing urgent need.
=> make a clearer proposal.
* Windows / fonts (Michael)
+ please read my mail; freetype / harfbuzz everywhere ?
+ seems sensible (Michael S)
+ concerned wrt. resources to maintain 5x different
platform rendering backends.
+ users expect stability across platforms (Miklos)
+ any insight into up-stream / harfbuzz development (Thorsten)
+ do we become the maintainer ?
+ background: Chromium already gone to harfbuzz everywhere (Caolan)
+ perhaps less of a layout concern.
+ thought about it in the past
+ ways from Adobe to add weird fonts.
+ pros can be unhappy.
+ OpenType helps &
+ concerned if it is a good idea.
+ not just Chromium using Harfbuzz on Win+Mac - also Mozilla (Michael S)
+ maintainer employed by Google, working full-time.
+ harfbuzz - has configuration mode; will not render fonts
by itself, but can use uniscribe on Windows
+ but encapsulates that with HarfBuzz API.
+ happy if that's reasonably serious (Thorsten)
+ damned if you do, or don't (Norbert)
+ love a free-software font rendering stack we can fix (Michael)
+ will need, for Windows - to use whatever weird Adobe fonts (Thorsten)
+ people feel strongly about their weird fonts.
* Hackfests (Bjoern)
+ next venues / suggestions
+ Ankara, Turkey
+ talked to them; lots of enthusiasm & desire for training.
+ suggested date: 2016-04-30
+ hope to go & do an overview talk first (Michael)
+ DavidO hoping to go
+ Gran Canaria hack-fest (Thorsten)
+ April 6-8th (7-9th) possibly
+ Plan is to craft it according to the Japanese
Mini-Conference, with a broader local community appeal
+ announced on Spanish list (janI)
+ Germany, Munich, LiMux; End of May 2016 (Jan-Marek)
+ Orga: https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2016/05/de/Munich
+ Weekend doodle: https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/LiMux_Hackfest_May_2016/
+ 19-21 or 27-29
+ closes next Mon -> select weekend.
* Mentoring Update (JanI)
+ gerrit: 160 open patches of which 107 can be merged if no open comments
76 from contributors of which 44 can be merged if no open comments
+ GSoC commits, please give a hand to get patches merged, so we can evaluate students
+ need to have a good review to evaluate them.
+ added needsDevEval (easyHacks) to ESC report
+ 399 needs evaluation (and code pointers) please give a hand
+ lots can be converted to easy-hacks, but needs code-pointers.
+ Gerrit monthly abandon patches (only 1, so the regular work starts to pay off)
+ started working on a tool to update easyhacks with many bz comments
+ added as infra-tdf admin
+ EasyHack https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91794
+ Discuss of when to use #if 0, and to use/not use #ifdef <module>_DEBUG
+ lack of consensus here.
+ rationale so far (Bjoern)
+ we have two somewhat tinderboxed/CIed debug levels:
+ compatible build
(--enable-debug/--enable-selective-debuginfo/"make sfx.clean && make debug=t sfx2")
=> must be compatible with rest of the build being non-debug
+ incompatible build (--enable-dbgutil)
=> must be compatible with rest of the build being dbgutil
+ IMHO it doesnt make sense to have more than these two debug levels (would bitrot anyway):
=> move all code in one of those or kill it
+ some code v. expensive / specifix (Norbert)
+ sympathetic to having it around.
+ dislike #if OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 1 etc. (Bjoern)
+ there are valid use cases for _DEBUG code (Eike/[Moggi])
+ see for example DEBUG_MATRIX in calc
+ code for debugging complex data structures
+ impossible to debug some parts of the code without such code
+ impossible to write that code each time you need to debug it
+ agree with removing several debug levels (Eike)
+ but leave DEBUG_FOO macros
+ doing it blindly a problem; needs some insight & review.
+ could handle macros similarly for config feature-tests (Stephan)
+ where we define them as all as zero
+ and everywhere #if DEBUG_FOO etc. so we don't get
new ones of these
+ could change them all to 1 to avoid bit-rot
+ good to document them centrally.
+ concern wrt. ripple include (Michael)
+ we have around 15 pending (JanI)
+ concerned wrt. actions on review feedback.
+ wine has some complex debug env. var (JMux)
+ could be used to turn off expensive stuff (Stephan)
AI: => switch easy-hack to turn: OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 1 to OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0 (Bjoern)
* l10n Update (Sophie)
+ nothing apart from glad to fix rc2.
+ genlang was introduced recently - what is it ? (Kendy)
+ an old project, brought in, currently runs as it used to run (JanI)
+ reading the code extracting & merging l10n
+ it replaces ulfex etc. into a C++ hierarchy using
lex to describe things so it is maintainable.
+ 1st ver -> don't change the po files.
+ goal is to generate the same po files as now.
+ including Online translations to pootle ? (Andras)
+ will do it once we have updated the project (Sophie, Cloph)
+ want the 5.1 project setup first.
* Commit Access
* Developer Certification (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy/Thorsten)
+ pending next cycle.
* Jenkins / CI update (Norbert)
from:Thu Feb 25 14:38:32 2016
master linux rel jobs:180 ok:163 ko:17 fail ratio:9.44% break:8 broken duration:7.95%
master linux dbg jobs:154 ok:134 ko:20 fail ratio:12.98% break:13 broken duration:10.09%
master mac rel jobs:172 ok:163 ko:9 fail ratio:5.23% break:1 broken duration:8.59%
master mac dbg jobs:171 ok:162 ko:9 fail ratio:5.26% break:1 broken duration:8.65%
master win rel jobs:136 ok:114 ko:22 fail ratio:16.17% break:12 broken duration:15.09%
master win dbg jobs:130 ok:79 ko:51 fail ratio:39.23% break:5 broken duration:43.11%
master win64 dbg jobs:135 ok:76 ko:59 fail ratio:43.7% break:6 broken duration:46.17%
lo-5.0 mac jobs:8 ok:7 ko:1 fail ratio:12.49% break:1 broken duration:38.47%
gerrit win rel jobs:271 ok:216 ko:52 fail ratio:19.18%
gerrit lin rel jobs:274 ok:212 ko:60 fail ratio:21.89%
gerrit mac rel jobs:274 ok:221 ko:53 fail ratio:19.34%
gerrit all jobs:271 ok:161 ko:105 fail ratio:38.74%
+ less good last week; windows debug 50% dead.
+ 13 distinct breaks on Linux.
* Easy Hacks (JanI)
+ easyHacks: total 307: 287 waiting for contributor, 9 Assigned to contributors, 8 need info
needsDevEval 399 needs to be evaluated
cleanup: 228 has more than 4 comments, 256 needs to be reviewed
new last 8 days:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98264 mentor:markus.mohrhard -> "use correct cppunit assert macros in calc's unit test"
need info (mentor or code pointer), please help:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97283 mentor:dtardon -> "merge unit tests in sal module"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57174 mentor:harman.eric -> "When Opening Any Dialog the First Value in the Dialog Should be Selected"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86214 mentor:luuk34 -> "UI: User isn't warned that entering a cell address is not allowed as range name"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67544 mentor:kobzeci -> "FILESAVE: Slide transistion sound(other sound) is not included in presentation file"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79924 mentor:alban.crequy -> "LibreOffice should use stemp in other directories than $HOME first"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66876 mentor:idler.1st -> "[Sidebar] Large icons are not used"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97803 mentor:d.ostrovsky -> "gbuild: check that everything in instdir/ ends up packaged in the end"
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94695 mentor:straub -> "osl_createHostAddrByAddr uses non-threadsafe gethostbyaddr"
AI: + suggest removing whiteboard tag of some of the older, needinfo (JanI)
+ concern that the mentor: flag is not correct (Bjoern)
+ eg. Stephan for the last, and Cor Nous for another.
+ comes with the new tool (JanI)
+ create your own by updating Keywords to eg.
"easyHack, difficultyBeginner, skillCpp, topicCleanup"
+ create new easy hacks from these proposed ones
(or remove the Keyword "needsDevEval" if not feasible):
* QA update (Robinson)
+ UNCONFIRMED: 724
+ going up again.
+ enhancements: 73
+ in ux-advise: 29
+ needAdvice at 26
+ Most Pressing Bugs:
+ tdf#95709 - [DISPLAY] Presentation mode renders graphics wrong
[ fixed - thanks to Armin,
should back-port to -5-1 & -5-0 ?
there is a 'cherry-pick' button in gerrit (Norbert) ]
AI: + write a cheat-sheet & mail to Armin (Norbert)
+ tdf#96172 - Crash in layout SwSectionFrame after opening particular document
[ layout crash is pre-existing, and we fixed the imports change (Michael S)
+ you can still import an equivalent ODT ]
+ tdf#89034 - OS X: Text not being justified in Persian and other RTL languages
+ Persists as Common issue -> lots of duplicates
+ Mail merge regressions (Bjoern)
+ http://bit.ly/1POJrmp (7 open; 7 open last meeting)
+ Patch-set coming (Kendy)
+ fixed printing, but sending E-mails glitches + unit test not passing
+ (also pending AI: push the last MM fix to 5.0 too)
+ lots of other stuff going on (JMux)
+ tdf#96847 - Android viewer crashes on every file (android 4.4.4 & 5.x)
+ Crash with daily builds (2016-02-18)
* QA stats
+191 -93 (+98 overall)
many thanks to the top bug squashers:
Yousuf (Jay) Philips 7
Adolfo Jayme 7
Michael Meeks 5
Maxim Monastirsky 4
V Stuart Foote 4
Julien Nabet 3
David Tardon 3
Cor Nouws 3
Miklos Vajna 2
Samuel Mehrbrodt 2
Jürgen Mähnß 1
* Highest-Priority bugs (aka "MABs"):
5.2: 1/4 - 25% +0
5.1: 2/25 - 8% +0
5.0: 10/52 - 19% +1
4.4: 12/75 - 16% +0
4.3: 5/68 - 7% +0
4.2: 11/134 - 8% +0
4.1: 4/79 - 5% +0
4.0: 10/81 - 12% +0
old: 39/248 - 15% +0
* Bibisected bugs open: whiteboard 'bibisected'
+ 412/1284 408/1277 403/1260 398/1248 402/1247 408/1242 409/1238
* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
+ 780(+10) bugs open of 4741(+22) total 31(+0) high prio.
* ~Component count net * high severity regressions
Calc - 12 (+0)
Writer - 9 (-1)
LibreOffice - 4 (+0)
Impress - 3 (+1)
Base - 2 (+0)
Extensions - 1 (+0)
* ~Component count net * all regressions
Writer - 240 (+6)
Calc - 169 (+3)
Crashes - 57 (+3)
LibreOffice - 54 (+0)
Impress - 51 (-1)
UI - 40 (-1)
graphics stack - 39 (+1)
Borders - 32 (+0)
Base - 29 (+1)
Draw - 27 (+0)
filters and storage - 20 (+1)
BASIC - 15 (+0)
Chart - 14 (-1)
Printing and PDF export- 10 (+0)
Formula Editor - 6 (+0)
Linguistic - 4 (+0)
Extensions - 3 (+0)
framework - 2 (+0)
Installation - 2 (+0)
sdk - 1 (+0)
michael.meeks at collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
More information about the LibreOffice