Firebird doesn't support MSVC 2015

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 17:50:38 UTC 2016

On 02/03/16 12:12, Noel Grandin wrote:

> On 2016/03/02 2:11 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
>>
>> personally i'd be inclined towards alternatives that are less likely to
>> trigger toolchain problems - maybe there's a SQL database implemented
>> in, say, Java somewhere...
>>

> Maybe even one that shares a committer with LO ?

:-)

Sounds like I ought to get my finger out :-)

I want to write a NoSQL database (a Pick derivative) and the plan is to
do it and make it part of LibreOffice. Problem is, as a carer, I find it
very hard to get the time available to concentrate, and I also don't
have all the skills I need.

Anyways, I will try and have a crack at it - life seems to be getting a
bit easier at the moment - and see where it takes us.

For those who know me, I am very much anti relational practice - imho
it's impossible to write an efficient truly relational database - the
theory has technical flaws that seriously impact any FNF engine.
Basically, that (in contravention of Einstein's dictum) the engine is
*too* *simple*, which means that any applications *must* be *overly*
*complex*. I'll wax lyrical if you like but you'd be wise not to get me
started :-)

My main problem is that a Pick database is actually a complete operating
environment. Fundamental to its operation is its language, called
DATABASIC, and while I could probably write the database engine without
too much difficulty, writing the language compiler is a step too far at
the moment.

Anyways, here's to having a go - if anyone's mad enough to join me, great!

Cheers,
Wol