minutes of ESC call ...

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Mar 11 05:45:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 07:28:58PM +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Thu Mar 10 16:40:50 UTC 2016, Michael Meeks wrote:

>>+ or bundle their binaries (urgh) (Lionel)
>>             + deep non-enthusiasm (Norbert, Michael, Bjoern)

> Why it was the right thing to do, to ship prebuilt Mozab mess for
> years, but is wrong thing to do to ship prebuilt FB?

The point is that it was not the right thing to do to ship the
prebuilt Mozab mess. We made the error once, we don't want to repeat
it.

>>    + decision needed: (Norbert)
>>        + effort to support VS 2015
>>        + not eager to turn it off.
>>AI:        => regret; disable for now for CI (Norbert)

> (...) the FB devs rejected support for the new toolchain
> (C++14/C++17) for the next 10 years (at least) because they need the
> compatibility with WinXP (see the thread from their ML I mentioned
> in my previous mail).

I read that thread and I didn't see a rejection of compatibility with
a new toolchain. I saw a requirement for compatibility with an old
toolchain. If they intend (and do test it at least "for every
release") to:

 * be compatible with MSVC2013
 * build their binaries with MSVC2013
 * AND be compatible with MSVC${LAST_VERSION_WITHIN_A_REASONABLE_TIMEFRAME}

then AFAICS we don't have a problem.

--
Lionel