GSOC 2016 New Idea: Tabbed LibreOffice Pages

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:49:02 UTC 2016

Esref Ozturk wrote
> I have an idea I want to work on within LibreOffice. I want to share it
> here and get feedback on whether it is suitable and doable or not. I could
> not see my idea in ideas list. I have seen some past discussions on that
> but it is not clear where the community is at.
>
> Simply put,  All LibreOffice applications  on multiple tabs under one
> window like web browsers. Consider 1 Writer tab, 2 Calc tabs, etc.
>
> Since I am not familiar with the codebase of the LibreOffice, I cannot
> determine if it is doable in 3 months.

IBM Lotus Symphony 3.0 (based on OpenOffice.org 3.0) already did that back
in 2010
Lotus Symphony on Windows XP
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Lotus_Symphony_Documents.png>

According to this Wikipedia page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Symphony
Apache OpenOffice got the code from IBM.

I believe it would be a great addition to LibreOffice!

Just my 2 (non-dev) cents! :)