firebird on MSVC2015 [was: minutes of ESC call ...]

Adrian Marius Popa mapopa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:53:30 UTC 2016

Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel <at> mamane.lu> writes:

> > v2.5 is officially built using VC2005 but also supports VC2008 and
> > VC2010 (used by some our developers).
> > v3.0 is officially built using VC2010 but also supports
> > VC2012/2013.
> > v4.0 will be officially built using VC2013.
>
> > I don't want to promise anything for v2.5 which is likely to be
> > discontinued in two years, but I see no reason why v3 and v4 cannot
> > be compiled using VC2015 or whatever later. Obviously, it's not our
> > top priority. We just need someone to setup VC2015 and give it a
> > try.
>
> So one way forward would be to switch to Firebird 3.0 (which is at RC2
> level), anticipating MSVC2015 compatibility "soon" (and enable it on
> Windows when the compatibility arrives); looks like if we make the
> patches ourselves, they would gladly accepted them.
>
> We could also use the above "unofficial" variant of Firebird 2.5, but
> my personal taste would be towards the future (version 3) rather than
> staying with 2.5.
>
> My plan is to try to invest GSoC resources into the above. No veto?

We also accept now github pull requests so it will be easier in the future
to integrate with new IDE versions or compilers

https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird

There are a few commits already with VC14 support
https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/commit/21b76bf44fd8c5ef3526fd77d53c6
b43d7594fa0
https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/commit/9ae426a75778ddb46273012f8aecb
2018aa0d087