clang -Wimplicit-fallthrough and missing breaks

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu May 12 12:50:58 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 01:46 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-05-12 at 10:28 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> * Of course, there may be more lurking in (platform-specific, etc.)
>> code that hasn't yet been built with Clang.  (I enabled
>> -Wimplicit-fallthrough also for clang-cl on Windows, but haven't done
>> a build with it yet.)
>
> Is this "__fallthrough" thing in Microsofts SAL Annotation Language
> thing any use to us here ?
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235402%28VS.80%29.aspx

Ah, interesting.  But hard to tell from that documentation where exactly
the __fallthrough is supposed to go, i.e., whether a single
SAL_FALLTHROUGH macro would work for both Clang and MSVC.

Failing that, the shorter-term measure for Windows-only code will be
clang-cl (I'll see to get a fresh build going there soon), and the
longer-term measure will be C++17 [[fallthrough]] (and presumably some
MSVC warning flag to actually trigger warnings for un-annotated
fall-throughs).