Some thoughts about our tests and the build time

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Tue May 17 08:26:07 UTC 2016

Hey Miklos,

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at collabora.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 02:37:02AM +0200, Markus Mohrhard <
> markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > After that the results of a time make, therefore forcing the build of
> > everything test related and executing the tests:
> >
> > real    11m30.192s
> > user    58m43.384s
> > sys    1m36.876s
> >
> > And finally a second time make to measure the time it takes to just
> execute
> > the tests:
> >
> > real    6m37.479s
> > user    45m4.740s
> > sys    0m34.988s
>
> Is this just toplevel 'make' or 'make check'? I find it a bit strange
> that we have 'make build-nocheck' to build the code, 'make check' to run
> the tests, and 'make' to do something between the two -- and this
> "something" is the default. ;-)

It is just a toplevel make. So it only covers unitcheck and slowcheck and
not subsequentcheck. Therefore we have no java tests in these numbers.

> Also, I didn't do measurements, but my impression is that the current
> hot path in 'make check' are still the Java tests, so if we want faster
> 'make check', then perhaps a way towards that would be to accelerate the
> conversion of the majority of those Java tests to in-process ones.
>

> Or did I miss something? :-)

As mentioned this does not include the java tests.

To make it easier to see what I'm talking about I have attached the
combined *resource.log files.

Regards,
Markus