multi-threading task under SolarMutex -> deadlock

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue May 17 12:35:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Thorsten Behrens <thb at libreoffice.org> wrote:
> Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> The threaded work then raise() due to some memory problem and out
>> signal handler try to acquire the solar mutex ->deadlock
>>
> Eek, that's ugly. Then again, at the core is the OOM condition, which
> needs solving independently. Per chance, is that happening on a box
> with massive amounts of CPU threads?

it is on the ci builder, so yeah 32 thread or so.

but I disagree that it is _at the core_

at the core this exhibit 2 things:
1/ we do a lot of thing that is verboten in a signal handler.
2/ taking a lock that rely on other thread to move forward while
holding the solarmutex is begging for deadlock.

Norbert