vcl::Window Get/SetUniqueId - is it still needed?

Katarina Behrens Katarina.Behrens at cib.de
Wed May 25 08:26:37 UTC 2016

Hello world,

as it happens, I need to write a method of vcl::Window that will return its
unique id. In most of the cases it'll be the same as its help id (i.e.
path/to/ui/file/widget/within), but sometimes it won't.

While writing it, I realized that such a method already exists. I tried to dig
in git logs, but since most of the occurrences of Get/SetUniqueId uses can be
attributed to the infamous 'initial commit', I didn't find much.

Questions for the more knowledgeable ones:

* What is vcl::Window Get/SetUniqueId good for and is it still needed
nowadays, when most of the dialogs are not resource-based?

* For some windows, argument of SetHelpId as well as SetUniqueId is the same
(example:  sd/source/ui/view/drviewsa.cxx, DrawViewShell::Construct ). Isn't
SetUniqueId call redundant in such case?

* For yet another windows that set their unique ID, this ID is referenced only
in helpcontent2/helpers/help_hid.lst and nowhere else (i.e. in no .xhp file).
Can such ids be dropped? What is help_hid.list used for anyway?

TIA for any helpful answers
--

Katarina Behrens

Softwareentwicklerin LibreOffice
–––
CIB software GmbH
Geschäftsstelle Hamburg
Flachsland 10
22083 Hamburg
–––
T +49 (40) / 28 48 42 -235
F +49 (40) / 28 48 42 -100

Katarina.Behrens at cib.de
www.cib.de
–––
Sitz: München
Registergericht München, HRB 123286
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. Ulrich Brandner