Some thoughts about our tests and the build time

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed May 25 10:50:25 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 09:11:21AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> To me at least, the build-nocheck target looks like a useful tool for
> developers, not a "travesty".

Im not suggesting to kill what it does (building without running checks). Im
suggesting that we get module and toplevel targets to be consistent. Right now
they are IIRC:

                    | top-level                 | module
make (default goal) | build unitcheck           | build unitcheck
make build-nocheck  | build                     | ERROR -- no such target
make build          | build unitcheck           | build
make all            | build unitcheck           | build
make check          | build unitcheck slowcheck | unitcheck slowcheck
                    |           subsequentcheck |

I dont think that to trigger the same thing (plain build) there are different
commands is not particularly consistent or obvious and assume its a frequent
frustration for people not knowing the history[1]. So I would suggest to remove
build-nocheck and have "make build" and "make all" do the same on top-level as
on module level then[1].

Best,

Bjoern

[1] "make build" from toplevel just ignores the users obvious intend and goes
    "HAHA, I know what is good for you and will just run tests anyway."
    Its an entirely useless target on topl-level that we only have, so we can
    hide build-nocheck behind its back.