Fwd: LIbreOffice integration into accessible software project

V Stuart Foote VStuart.Foote at utsa.edu
Fri May 27 17:41:29 UTC 2016

@Jan,

Regina H. and Fred W. were some of the last to poke at the math formula
editor. Unfortunately, the StarMath syntax while comfortable has stagnated
as W3C MathML evolved,  and LaTex remained mainstream--we don't natively
enter either and have to filter or extend to work with them. Regina recently
gave us MathML input from clipboard.

A lot of the issues about what needs to be done by the project for the math
module can be read in this thread:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Thoughts-on-LibreOffice-Math-tt4062796.html

The Formula editor has some ugly layout and composition warts of its own.

For her project, I believe Rebecca Luttmer is with American Printing House
for the Blind, the LibreOffice core math module is probably not the
direction an accessibility project would want to go.

Instead LaTex markup and composition, or one of the WYSIWYG markup & CSS
editors for W3C MathML is probably a better direction for assistive
technology tool support for  formula editing.

Stuart