Re: Demystifying “symbol” fonts

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 20:39:59 UTC 2016

11/17/2016 11:08 PM, Khaled Hosny пишет:

We are dealing here with imported documented, not what we are exporting.
The use of PUA certainly is backwards, but that is how is it and we have
to deal with it already. Again I’m asking what is the expectation in our
context, not in general.

IMO, we should:
(1) bundle our font suitable for proper replacement of such symbol fonts, because doing otherwise (depending on system fonts) leaves users with different problems like absent fonts and wrong sizing because of different font metrics;
(2) use OpenSymbol for that, because that is its purpose from the beginning, and we already bundle it;
(3) use proper Unicode ranges in OpenSymbol, but provide mapping from PUA inside LO code (not alternative mappings in font itself).

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski