Firebird backward incompatibility

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Nov 28 15:30:17 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 09:35:59AM -0600, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> wrote:

>>> The shell script would be something like:

>>> unzip -d oldFirebird.odb temp;
>>> gbak -b temp/database/firebird.fdb temp/database/firebird.fbk;
>> insert here:
>>  rm temp/database/firebird.fdb
>>> zip -FSr oldFirebird.odb temp;
>>> rm -r temp;

>>> It would be fun to do this, though I don't have much experience with
>>> web services.

>> I assume we can get some TDF hosting for that?

> Does anyone has considered the glaringly obvious privacy issue of
> such scheme ?

People trade privacy for convenience or the other way round all the
time. People that in this case favour convenience can use the
hypothetical web service. People that favour privacy can follow the
instructions at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Base/FirebirdSQL#Older_Firebird_databases
(which the web service should point towards for information).

While I'm not exactly lobbying for this web service, we are a
volunteer-driven organisation and if Tamás feels like doing it, all
the merrier.

--
Lionel