Merging feature/commonsallayout branch

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:05:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> I believe that feature/commonsallayout (AKA unified text layout) is now
> feature complete with no known major bugs, and should be ready to be
> merged on master. I’ll try merge it tomorrow night and hope for the
> best, unless someone objects loudly.

Not sure whether the wording is to be taken literally or not.. But I'd
brefer a non-merge way to add it..
(aka rebase on top of mater rather than doing a merge)

> There are too main issues with the new code:
> - Type 1 fonts are not supported. They can be supported with some
>   effort, but Type 1 fonts have been obsolete for more than 15 years and
>   I’d like to use this opportunity to drop support for them and cleanup
>   some of the ugly code we have.

This is something that should be communitated clearly to QA and
Marketing projects so they're aware as well..

> - We use a bit of DirectWrite to load fonts on Windows, so Windows XP is
>   not supported as well.

Do you mean just with the new rendering (that could be toggled with
the env-var), or not supported at all anymore?

ciao
Christian