Merging feature/commonsallayout branch

Yousuf Philips ypharis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 04:14:54 UTC 2016

On 10/20/2016 02:34 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> So that is not as bad as I thought it would be. We can have a runtime
> check for 5.3 that forces disable CommonSalLayout for Windows XP. We can
> then communicate in advance that we are dropping Windows XP support in
> 5.4 (since we will remove the old code by then).
>
> WDYT?

As XP still has between 6 and 9% of desktop market share, which is
around the same amount of Windows 8/8.1 and Mac OS X, it is in the top 5
desktop OSes and i wouldnt recommend alienating them any time soon.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201607-201607-bar

It would be useful to use the update ping stats to know what percentage
of our user base are still on XP and if it isnt as high as the above
stats perceive it to be, then it is worth dropping it sooner.

> Regards,
> Khaled

Yousuf