gerrit changes depending one on another (was: Maarten Bosmans license statement)

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 16:01:12 UTC 2016

Hi Maarten,

On Wednesday, 2016-08-31 10:49:11 +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:

> What is the correct way to submit a patch series to gerrit? I'd like
> to avoid squashing all patches into one commit, but there also has to
> be a way for reviewers to see that all patches in a series are
> related.

I'm fine with separate changes that depend on another (preferrably if
they're clean and wellformed and can be applied and built as is in order ;-)
Gerrit indicates the relationship through the "Related Changes" list on
the right hand side, but that sometimes can also be misleading.

Adding a short "This depends on https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/<changenumber>"
as gerrit comment / Reply after having submitted the changes is nice for
reviewers.

Having a topic name in the topic field for both changes is also a good
indicator. A topic can be conveniently set already when pushing the
changes to gerrit using the git-review tool: git review -t mytopic
Or plain git: git push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/master/mytopic

  Eike

GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack