feedback for the xlsx import improvements

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:10:31 UTC 2016

> For the bug fix this would be  a simple test document that can be used in
> one of the automated tests.

I'm looking into making a test case for the two bugfixes.

> For the performance improvement it would be a
> document showing the problem but not taking too long. The perf documents are
> run under callgrind which means they take around 50 to 100 times the normal
> import time during the test. So ideally the document already shows the
> problem but still opens in less than 30 seconds.

For the performance, I used the document attached to the bugreport
(tdf#100709) and converted using `soffice --convert-to ods`.
On my computer conversion took about 6 seconds, of which roughly 40%
import, 40% export and 20% startup/other. After the perf improvement,
import time is only a couple of percent, and total time is reduced to
3-4s.
Would this document be suitable as a performance regression test as
is, or should I try to make it smaller?

Also, it would be nice to be able to only measure import, without the
export, as that more clearly shows the gain of over 10x, instead of
just the 2x reduction in runtime of the whole conversion. Is this
possible within the performance testing framework of LibreOffice?

Maarten