WIP: new VCL scheduler feature branch

Noel Grandin noelgrandin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 11:54:35 UTC 2016

Nice work!

Some random low priority comments:

In "Just walk the task list once per timeout"
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=feature/new-vcl-scheduler&id=435e21fe0330436e76e5e053d5d5d94df734a554
The evaluate_entry label doesn't make the code any easier to read.

In "Reorganize Scheduler priority classes"
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=feature/new-vcl-scheduler&id=5e4361e84607fc6d7623b31630505da7c934b945
 (1) you haven't used a consistent mapping from old to new - sometimes LOW
maps to HIGH_IDLE, sometimes HIGHEST maps to HIGH_IDLE. Perhaps there is a
reason for this?
(2) I would call HIGH_IDLE, either PRE_RESIZE or BEFORE_RESIZE, because
it's not any kind of IDLE anymore. I would call DEFAULT_IDLE just IDLE.

In "Handle all main loop and task events"
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=feature/new-vcl-scheduler&id=102c41c2e429bee489334361536779aa298bc181
    -    bProcessedEvent = bProcessedEvent || bScheduledEevent;
    +    bProcessedEvent |= bScheduledEevent;

In "Run Idle tasks immediatly"
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=feature/new-vcl-scheduler&id=a1ecb280872c5487615558f8d140a380ef3e0d36
It occurs to me that when we get an overload condition, it would be very
helpful to dump the names of the current events.