gtk3 and hidpi status ?

Tomaž Vajngerl tomaz.vajngerl at collabora.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 13:11:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 20/09/16 13:46, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> There was a commit (2a19bb85cbe83aa031871a3689b9ff03629da548) last year
> wrt to hidpi and gtk3. I assume that hidpi isn't just working correctly
> right out of the box, right ? Do you know what we should be doing here
> ?
>
> .
The initial problem was that gtk3 detected HiDPI correctly, however it
reported the DPI as 96 and has an additional scale factor parameter for
a window if it is scaled (gdk_window_get_scale_factor). It also scaled
the windows surface by 2 - which means the content was blurry and not
really usable.

As we scale depending on DPI value I adjusted that by multiplying our
stored DPI with scale factor that gtk3 reported and disabled window
scaling in gtk3 (the commit). With this it works about the same as gtk2
for me. The only problem I know that is related to gtk3 is that the file
dialog isn't scaled correctly - not fonts, only icons and whitespace.

OTOH, LO isn't scaled correctly when it is running with gtk3 under
wayland but I didn't look into that. I wanted to research what Firefox
sets when they detect HiDPI and use their solution as they have the same
problem as we do (they draw widgets and other window content themselves).

Regards, Tomaž