minutes of ESC call ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu Sep 29 15:10:12 UTC 2016

hopefully not mangled this week:

* Present:
    + Michael M, janI, Stephan, Armin, Lionel (had to leave early, sorry), Michael S, Robinson, Eike,
      Norbert, Andras, Heiko, Kendy, Sophie, Olivier, Thorsten, Xisco,
      Noel, Miklos, Cloph, Bubli

*  Completed Action Items:
    + attempt to re-build a recent gstreamer 1.0 / core spec file
      on our CentOS6 base (tdf#94508) (Christian)
        [ GStreamer built on the baseline - and compiled against that,
          need to add dependencies to our repositories.
        5.3 will be vs. gstreamer 1.0 and 0.10 ]

* Pending Action Items:
    + simplify & cleanup broken Windows build instructions & test (JanI)
        [ in progress ]
    + align release dates and issues, patch merging (Caolan, Cloph)
        [ waiting on AOO decision ]
    + poke at MSDN licenses (Michael)
        [ chasing this one ]
    + investigate a cron job that queries & auto-merges (Norbert)
        [ the solution proposed by David - using his query & a JSON script
          David has a patch in gerrit - to do the query completely in gerrit,
              will be included in the next release.
          Had a google auth. connection issue last week on gerrit.
              patch was fairly quick.
              https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2087
              https://github.com/davido/gerrit-oauth-provider/issues/64
          David's plugin to allow Google oauth - is there & working. ]
    + tweak UI and get LiveConnect API key / build case for board (Christian)
       + still need to get API key, rest is done
        [ planned for 5.3 release ]

* Boost system library pickup (Norbert)
    + we were building against this when we shouldn't have.
    + Michael S built a script to look at what binaries we link to.
    + thinking about putting that into the normal gerrit build.
    + white-lists things we are allowed to link to.
        + finds new & not there things.
    + any objections ?
    + a good idea in general (Michael S)
        + only into the build for some special release-build mode.
            + not in general.
            + if you switch configure flags it'll complain about it.
        + will tailor it to builds we do in Jenkins (Norbert)
    => go for it.

* Release Engineering update (Cloph/JanI)
    + 5.2.3 RC1 (janI)
        + will be done in two weeks.
    + 5.1 → 5.1.6 rc1 Oct 4th (janI)
        + due to tag Tuesday evening, will ping on IRC for last-minute bits.
    + 5.3 → 5.3.0 alpha 1 Oct 18th
        + when is the 5.3 feature freeze ? (Heiko)
            + Nov 21st - with the branch-off (Cloph)
    + Android & iOS Remote (Cloph)
         + updating the Android build requirements
         + should have found a workaround for the rendering issue.
    + Windows Server 2016 (Cloph)
        + should we bump our base-line to this ?
        + ideally with VS 2015 as well but ... depends on release.

* Documentation (Olivier)
     + Corrections on help pages by Gabor Kelemen, Johnny_M.
     + Notebookbar help page waiting for definitive name for the feature
     + new web CMS for documentation download/get involved, entry page
        + WIP, do not publicize widely yet: http://documentation.libreoffice.org
            + some more weeks of work before announce.
            + help and feedback welcome
        + linked to patch https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/28817/ (link to Doc'tation in Help menu)
    + many offline support for would-be authors. Good will but still a way to go.
        + can we get these people into the IRC channel ? (Bubli)
            + encouraged people to the channel, but ... (Olivier)
        + could we get a telegram bridge to IRC cf. conference (Thorsten)
            + might be interesting to see if we can (Olivier)
                + want to use social networks too.
        + "Join the Documentation Team" button on-line takes you to IRC in the browser
    + Guarani thesaurus patch cleanup.

* UX Update (Heiko)
  * 'Muffin' concept proposed by marketing
    + extended toolbar vs. notebookbar
    + http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=muffin
    + concern wrt. naming (Norbert)
  * Total needsUXAdvice:    483 (-3)
    Base                      1
    Calc                     34 (+2)
    Draw                     69
    Extensions                0
    filters and storage       1
    framework                 1
    Impress                  24 (+1)
    Installation              0
    LibreOffice             260 (+1)
    Localization              0
    Printing and PDF export   1
    UI                       16 (-2)
    Writer                   76 (+1)
    + numbers are decreasing.
  * New topics: 5
    + Find & Replace (tdf#102615; G+ poll)
    + Notebookbar (tdf#102779, 102378)
    + Option tweaks (tdf#102782, 102769)
  * Discussion about palettes (tdf#80196, +design ML)
    + Concerns to remove some of them - eg. CMYK (
* remove cmyk, gallery, html, palette, web
        + cluttering up the palette selector.
        + are regressions to be expected ?
            + probably not (Miklos, Armin)
    => apparently non-controversial wrt. removing them.

* Crashtest update (Caolan)
    + ? import failure, ? export failures
      < ?? coverity issues

* Hackfests (Bjoern)
    + next venues / suggestions
    + Code for Hamburg (Eike)
        + Postponed to next year; can't reach out to students in time.
    + Girls-only event in Berlin, 29th October (Bubli)
        + "Ladies who FOSS" (https://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS)
        + Bubli will be there, and so is Heiko
        + now included into the list of projects: https://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS/Projects
        + built a list of non-code easy-hacks; eg. palette issue.
    + 33c3 CfP open: https://events.ccc.de/2016/09/01/call-for-participation-33rd-chaos-communication-congress-en/ (Bjoern)
        + Anyone interested in a LibreOffice assembly -- or one shared e.g. with FSFE?
        + talks? workshops? deadline: 2016-09-30
    + Hackfest Madrid, december with Gnome (Xisco/janI)
        + waiting for a GNOME contact person.
AI:     + connect them with Madrid GNOME guy (Bubli)
    + Hackfest Granada (Xisco/janI)
        + in the early idea phase, but to be in Autumn

* Updating ESC stats (Bjoern)
    + wait for Bjoern to be here - for 4th week (moving house etc.)

* Mentoring / easyhack update (janI)
   + legend: contributors are not-yet-committers, numbers in () are +/- compared to last week
   + summary:
       16464(0) commits in a year of which 7515(-31) were made directly, without use of gerrit
       282(-8) people made commits in a year, 57(-10) in a month. 49(1) people to be emailed
   + gerrit:   committer open  88(27)      contributor open  35(-1)
               updated  merged    abandoned   updated   merged    abandoned
        year:    88(27)  7342(24)   595(8)      35(-1)   1607(7)   490(1)
        month:   85(24)   638(33)    56(5)      35(-1)    128(-4)   18(2)
        week:    56(19)   135(-35)   14(-5)     13(-12)    36(5)     5(3)
   + easyHacks:
        total 259(-1) open 253(28) assigned 6(-1) needinfo 0(-28)
        needsDevEval 517(36) of which 0(0) are easyHacks
        needsUXEval 481(-7) of which 6(0) are easyHacks
        missing cleanup due to many comments 217(2)
   + top 5 contributors (based on merged patches last month):
         Zdenek Crhonek got 54 patches merged, and have a total of 254 merged patches
         Gabor Kelemen got 18 patches merged, and have a total of 21 merged patches
         Maarten Bosmans got 9 patches merged, and have a total of 9 merged patches
         Stanislav Horáček got 7 patches merged, and have a total of 90 merged patches
         Muhammet Kara got 5 patches merged, and have a total of 62 merged patches
   + create your own by updating Keywords to eg. "easyHack, difficultyBeginner, skillCpp, topicCleanup"
   + please remember, a codepointer is mandatory, and typically a look from an experienced developer
   + create new easy hacks from these ones or remove "needsDevEval" if not feasible):
       https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=needsDevEval

   + stats look good; we're merging things more quickly.

   + Changed NEEDINFO to needsDevEval for all easyHacks
   + removed dev list CC from all BZ bugs
       + went through and removed this from everywhere.
   + esc-mentoring script major rewrite to support trend statistic and QA demands.
   + Preparing blog post with video from conference with a note about my past 1 year ago
   + Please remember the community development week, starting october 10th
   + Final work on new contributor acknowledgement (and automation)
       + pending Marina's signature.
   + NEEDINFO is not relevant anymore ? (Heiko)
       + when it has EasyHack and NeedsDevEval that's enough (JanI)
           + from now on don't use NEEDINFO for that.

* Commit Access
         Stanislav Horáček got 7 patches merged, and have a total of 90 merged patches ( added - Norbert)
           https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/q/owner:%22Stanislav+Hor%25C3%25A1%25C4%258Dek+%253Cstanislav.horacek%2540gmail.com%253E%22
         Muhammet Kara got 5 patches merged, and have a total of 62 merged patches (added - Norbert)
           https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/q/owner:%22Muhammet+Kara+%253Cmuhammet.kara%2540pardus.org.tr%253E%22
    + JanI to write welcome mails, and Norbert to press buttons variously (mail sent - janI)

* Developer Certification (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy/Thorsten)
     + work still in-progress ... some three possible names, hunting some more.

* Jenkins / CI update (Norbert)
    master linux rel  jobs: 177 ok: 167 ko:  10 fail ratio:  5.65 % break:   4 broken duration: 8.63%
    master linux dbg  jobs: 119 ok: 107 ko:  10 fail ratio:  8.40 % break:   3 broken duration: 7.43%
    master mac rel    jobs: 132 ok: 126 ko:   5 fail ratio:  3.79 % break:   3 broken duration: 3.22%
    master mac dbg    jobs: 128 ok: 113 ko:  15 fail ratio: 11.72 % break:   4 broken duration:17.72%
    master win rel    jobs: 130 ok: 118 ko:  12 fail ratio:  9.23 % break:   4 broken duration: 4.71%
    master win dbg    jobs: 139 ok: 129 ko:  10 fail ratio:  7.19 % break:   2 broken duration: 3.37%
    master win64 dbg  jobs: 137 ok: 126 ko:  10 fail ratio:  7.30 % break:   2 broken duration: 3.55%
    lo-5.2 mac        jobs:  10 ok:  10 ko:   0 fail ratio:  0.00 % break:   0 broken duration: 0.00%
    lo-5.1 mac        jobs:   7 ok:   7 ko:   0 fail ratio:  0.00 % break:   0 broken duration: 0.00%

    branch gerrit win jobs:  34 ok:  34 ko:   0 fail ratio: 0.00%
    branch gerrit lin jobs:  34 ok:  33 ko:   1 fail ratio: 2.94%
    branch gerrit mac jobs:  33 ok:  30 ko:   2 fail ratio: 6.06%
    branch gerrit all jobs:  33 ok:  29 ko:   3 fail ratio: 9.09%
    master gerrit all jobs: 275 ok:  85 ko: 182 fail ratio:66.18%

    + stats look weird (as in prolly not to be relied upon), prolly internal jenkins problem.
    + overall a bit bumpy since re-install of jenkins..
       + the last line - above - of concern wrt. clang builds.
    + still sporatic issue with build job that actually hang..
      delaying everything else until a manual kick.
    + any plan on going back to one Jenkins job again ? (JanI)
       + currently just one job, with four platforms on master (Norbert)
          + fixed with the re-install at the conference.

* l10n (Sophie)
    + nothing new.

* QA update (Xisco)

    + reviewed the bisected bugs this week.
        + handling it so devs can query that ?
        + how to check bisected regressions introduced by you:
           'Adding Cc: [your Name]'
        + seeing some progress.

    + Unconfirmed + haveBacktrace: 20
        + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgibug_status=UNCONFIRMED&keywords=haveBacktrace%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=637649&query_format=advanced

    + UNCONFIRMED: 737
        + enhancements: 68
        + needsUXEval: 25
    + needsDevEval at 519
    + needsConfirmationAdvice at 46

    + Most Pressing Bugs: http://tdf.io/mostressingbugs
        + tdf#98365 - Crash on first run of 64-bit build with no user profile
        + tdf#98365 - Writer crashes on undo
        + tdf#101528 - Crashes on 3D chart modification
        + tdf#101726 - crash when selecting column and pressing ⌘1 or clicking menubar Format > Cells
            + macOS

    + Had a poke at the new Mac access (Michael)
        + eventually got it to work (Michael S)
            + a workaround necessary for a libc bug.
            + Oracle Java wasn't installed, only the Apple one
            + caused various test failures.
        + these days - no Apple Java since 10.6 (Norbert)
        + would be lovely to have pre-build easy to hack builds (Michael)

    + Closed bugs count - wiping spam (Xisco)
        + bugs filled with lots of random text.
        + do we black-list names/E-mails ? (Armin)
            + close the E-mail as a spammer (Xisco)
            + could be automated perhaps
        + couple using gmail addresses - until user was blocked (Cloph)
            + we bin E-mail address domains too.
        + do the request come from certain IPs ? (Michael)
            + not looked into that yet.

    + Mail merge regressions: http://tdf.io/mmregressions
        + 2 open; 2 open last meeting

* QA stats

  + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html
    +142    -244        (-102 overall)
    many thanks to the top bug squashers:
        Xisco Faulí          186
        Buovjaga              26
        Caolán McNamara       17
        m.a.riosv             14
        Heiko Tietze          13
        V Stuart Foote         9
        Jean-Baptiste Faure    9
        Alex Thurgood          8
        Ákos                   5
        Mark Hung              5
        Eike Rathke            5
        Yousuf Philips (jay)   4
        tommy27                4
        Miklos Vajna           4
        Andras Timar           4

* Highest-Priority bugs (aka "MABs"):
        5.2: 1/17   -  5%
        5.1: 3/31   -  9%
        5.0: 7/56   - 12%
        4.4: 8/74   - 10%
        4.3: 4/69   -  5%
        4.2: 7/133  -  5%
        4.1: 5/80   -  6%
        4.0: 7/82   -  8%
        old: 30/246 - 12%

        + http://bit.ly/2dp3mwC

* Bibisected bugs open: keyword 'bibisected'
    + 349/1463 349/1445 347/1431 338/1407 325/1390 325/1383 325/1383 333/1383
        + http://bit.ly/2cSCXlS

* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
    + 682(-6) bugs open of 5176(+17) total 10(-3) high prio.

        * ~Component   count net * high severity regressions
                  Calc -  4 (+0)
                Writer -  3 (-1)
           LibreOffice -  1 (-1)
               Impress -  1 (+0)
                  Base -  1 (-1)
                + http://bit.ly/1HWHb3E

        * ~Component   count net * all regressions
          Writer: total - 212 (+0)
                   Calc - 124 (-4)
          Writer: other - 123 (+4)
                [!?] - should we drop this or Writer:total ?
                Impress - 52 (+1)
           Writer: docx - 48 (-1)
         graphics stack - 43 (+1)
            LibreOffice - 39 (-3)