Unix-based systems not using CUPS

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Apr 3 23:46:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 09:31:55AM +1000, Chris Sherlock wrote:

> However, now that CUPS is pretty much standardised on mostly
> everything - including, it appears, on an increasing number of *BSD
> systems - is psprint still required for systems that are sticking with
> lpr?

My understanding (and I may pretty much be wrong, the code is convoluted
to death) is that most of psprint deals with printing using PostScript
and when printing with PDF most of it is skipped. PDF printing is the
default and not even easy to change in recent versions, but that looks
like a bug. I believe we can kill PostScript printing and most of
psprint with it and nothing of value will be lost.

Regards,
Khaled