Build: Unit test ScFiltersTest::testUnicodeFileNameGnumeric() fails when LANG=en_US.iso88591

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 21 19:48:35 UTC 2017

On 20.08.2017 17:59, Ulrich Gemkow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when building current master in Ubuntu 16.04 in a console
> where LANG is set to US.iso88591 the unit test
> ScFiltersTest::testUnicodeFileNameGnumeric()
> in sc/qa/unit/subsequent_filters-test.cxx fails with the
> following assertion:
>
> ===
>
> assertion failed
> - Expression: xDocSh.is()
>
> ScFiltersTest::testUnicodeFileNameGnumeric finished in: 10ms
> subsequent_filters-test.cxx:3937:Assertion
> Test name: ScFiltersTest::testUnicodeFileNameGnumeric
> assertion failed
> - Expression: xDocSh.is()
>
> ===
>
> The test passes when setting LANG to en_US.utf8.
>
> I cannot judge whether this is acceptable behavior - today
> it is IMHO not very common to set LANG to something other
> than utf8.

quite frankly, if you set your build to a non-Unicode locale, it's a
case of "doctor, it hurts when i do this - well don't do that then".

it's bad enough that we had to deal with this nonsense on Windows, where
there OS doesn't allow setting a Unicode locale, but since MSVC 2015
added the "-utf-8" command line flag even that problem has gone away.