ANN: ongoing emf+ parser & rendering rework

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Tue Aug 22 10:48:48 UTC 2017

I wrote:
> Next steps (again, help much appreciated!):
>
> - add more GraphicPrimitive generators, complete up to a state that
>   the filter at least covers what the current direct canvas renderer
>   delivers:
>    * clip regions
>    * text rendering - it's parsed, but graphic primitive generation is
>      missing
>    * gradients/hatches

That's now done to a point where we're ~on par with the old renderer's
functionality - thx to Patrick, Noel and Armin for all the nice work!

> - once this works, cut over to new impl, bin the old code in cppcanvas
>   (there's sadly a small amount of duplicate code now in the parsers)
> - iteratively expand, to cover near-100% of EMF+ (mostly lacking around
>   gradients & effects):
>    * more complex fill types like bitmaps/tiles
>    * path gradient
>    * xor & stuff

That cut-over has now happened with

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=ebc11ae0b132eefd3b1b1a837a8d0ad3ba73b460

, also killing the functionality to compare the two renderers - if you
still need that, it's a rather smallish revert for now.

Next up is cleansing the old renderer under cppcanvas, I suspect
there's some easy wins there for easy hackers. :)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten