[Libreoffice-commits] core.git: tell msvc our source code is written using utf-8

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 13:04:03 UTC 2017

On 08/17/2017 10:33 AM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Are we confident that all relevant toolchains treat C++ source files as
> UTF-8 now?  How about e.g. Linux, where I could imagine that GCC/Clang
> would base their behavior on LC_* env vars?

Turns out GCC/Clang have a corresponding flag, now set with
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=30935cf8adf8747b46ea485ba4a320b542a4f7a5>
"Explicitly specify -finput-charset=UTF-8 for GCC/Clang".

That means that if all agree that UTF-8 encoded C++ source files are a
good idea, we can now use actual Unicode content (instead of \uXXXX,
\UXXXXXXXX escapes) in u8/u/U string literals on master.