[CREATE] freieFarbe/freeColour HLC colour system to be accepted as a national standard for "Open Colour Communication" in Germany

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:17:30 UTC 2017

Hi!

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 дек. 2017 г. 6:36 пользователь Christoph Schäfer  написал:
>
> We're currently cooperating with ink manufacturers in Germany and
> Switzerland to establish ink formulas for HLC colours that cannot be
> reproduced in CMYK, aka as spot colours
>

> Since you already have a prototype, are you talking about metallic inks?
>

> This is a real colour system and not just a colour collection like Pantone
> or RAL.
>

> How do you define a real color system?
>
> Most importantly, it is a free and open alternative to Pantone & co, which
> is not only better,
>

> Better in what way?

Though I still think it is a very cool news, I actually join
Alexandre's questions above.
You seem to think that your color system is better and "real" because
it is based off sorted numerical values, with meaning in color science
(LCH).

Yet the real power of Pantone is that they were not born out of
numbers but from actual physical inks (the 18 basic Pantone colors).
So with the basic colors being "approved" by the company, getting any
color is a matter of precisely following a recipe. This ensures that
*theoretically* you should always get the same color at every
printshop.

This is based off real life and somehow meets expectations of people.
I'm not saying that Pantone is great. They have tried for years to
copyright colors and stuff. They are just trying to squeeze money
because that's what most companies do. Colors should indeed be managed
by a non-profit with the goal to improve accuracy and reproducibility.
Yet saying that such companies don't have a real system is wrong IMO.
Somehow people who want to print may not care that much about numbers,
sorting and stuff. They mostly want reproducible colors. And from the
printshop point of view, getting any spot color from the catalog is
just about following a mixing recipe accurately, so it's easy and not
too bothersome.

So my question is: from your LCH representation, can you ensure the
creation of an ink so that 2 unrelated people could create the same
color?
I'm not a color expert so I may be missing something. But physical
colors can be measured and get a LCH representation. But here we need
to do the opposite. Can it be done accurately and easily?

Jehan

P.S.: I believe I met you in some summit in Berlin a few years ago and
raised similar concerns.

> At what stage of work within DIN will ink formulas be published one way or
> another?
>
> Alex

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net