pre-init / strings ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Dec 8 16:20:34 UTC 2017

On 12/08/2017 03:06 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On 08/12/17 09:26, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> I think that with
>> <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0424r2.pdf>
>> "String literals as non-type template parameters" potentially making it
>> into C++20 (and potentially being available in Clang or GCC even before;
>> it already is, in a form almost usable for our needs), we will be able
>> to create such rtl_uString from string literals in the source code
>> during compilation, placing them into read-only data segments.
>
> 	Yep; should be more efficient for both desktop and server.
>
>> So, it would be interesting to know whether the issue indeed is mostly
>> with such rtl_uString instances, so that the mechanism I outlined above
>> would be going to sufficiently solve your issue.
>
> 	Yep; interesting, but - of course, us switching to a C++20 baseline is
> (presumably) at least 3 years out, and more likely 5 ;-)

That's why I mentioned that it is "potentially being available in Clang
or GCC even before; it already is, in a form almost usable for our
needs".  My assumption would be that we could get this at least into
dedicated Linux builds rather "soon-ish", with other builds gracefully
falling back to the status quo.