Some points on clang-format usage

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 09:35:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:50:31AM +0100, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> Another gotcha to watch out for related to comments is how
>
> > void decl1(); // lengthy comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment
> >               // comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment pertaining to decl1
> > void decl2();
> >     // lengthy comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment pertaining to decl2
> > void decl3();
> >
> > void f() {
> >     statement1(); // lengthy comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment
> >                   // comment comment comment comment comment comment pertaining to statement1
> >     statement2();
> >         // lengthy comment comment comment comment comment comment comment pertaining to statement2
> >     statement3();
> > }
>
> is reformatted to
>
> > void decl1(); // lengthy comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment
> >     // comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment pertaining to decl1

This is due to our explicit AlignTrailingComments=false, it may make
sense to consider enabling it (if
solenv/clang-format/reformat-formatted-files confirms this solves more
problems than it causes).

> > void decl2();
> > // lengthy comment comment comment comment comment comment comment comment pertaining to decl2
> > void decl3();

I think this style was discussed on IRC already, and there was no
consensus if even the original form is misleading to the reader of the
code or not (so I did not research so far if there is an option to
preserve that style).

Regards,

Miklos