About the kikongo speller (kituba)

Németh László nemeth at numbertext.org
Wed Dec 20 12:38:40 UTC 2017

Hi,

> Hi Cyrille,
>
> On Tuesday, 2017-12-12 14:43:05 +0100, Cyrille wrote:
>
> > I come back to you because I think the dictionary is now mature. I would
> > like to know if it is possible to propose it to the github hunspell repo
> > <https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/wiki/Dictionary-Packages> or
> > better as a new package for Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> It looks like that github page lists dictionaries that are available as
> Debian and Ubuntu packages, so probably trying to add it as a Debian
> package would be best.
>
> > Currently I did already a
> > plugin for firefox and an extension for Libreoffice (even if it is not
> > necessary on Ubuntu if you have the hunspell installed). I did it first
> > for Windows. But I would like to know if it is possible to install it
> > for all applications on Windows too (But maybe I'm not in the right
> > place to ask my question?).
>
> I don't know details, but I think Windows doesn't have a concept of
> central dictionaries.

I'm afraid of it, too. (It seems, Microsoft has opened his spell checking
API:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh869853(v=vs.85).aspx,
so maybe it's possible to use it for spell checker developments. If I right
remember, some years ago this API documentation was a product sold by MS).
Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome use dictionary extensions created by the
users on their add-on sites, so you can add also Kikongo dictionary to them.

If I right think, as an extension to the (future?) Kikongo LibreOffice
localization, you can add your dictionary to the dictionaries/ LibreOffice
repository. This way, Kikongo localization packages of LibreOffice will
contain the spelling and hyphenation dictionaries, too.

Best regards,
László