LibreOffice - Change the mouse cursor icon when hovering the spreadsheet

Nuno Ferreira nuno360 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:12:27 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I set a feat request awhile ago: Bug 104169

Basically the idea is to change the 'arrow' mouse icon into a 'cross' when
hovering over calc spreadsheet.

Preliminar investigation reveals that this behaviour can be well
approximated if line 53 of file fudraw.cxx is changed from
"   aNewPointer ( PointerStyle::Arrow )," change into "    aNewPointer (
PointerStyle::Cross ),"

However, the resulting cross looks a litle bit too thin. kohei realized
that this has to do with the fact that in LO we don't have a 'FatCross'
PointerStyle. As kohei best explains:

"http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/class-gdkcursor.html
 looking at this, there is supposed to be cross and crosshair.
and the crosshair is the skinny one, but we map that to our Cross type.
I think that's an error. and I don't see us mapping gtk's real 'cross' type.
and I bet that's the fat one."

What do you guys think be done? Should the PointerStyle be expanded to
include something like PointerStyle::FatCross? Or, alternatively, should
the naming of PointerStyle crosses be consistent with that of gtk2+ crosses?

Another issue is the fact that GTK3+ does not seem to offer the fat cross
anymore, only the crosshair.... https://developer.gnome.org/
gdk3/stable/gdk3-Cursors.html. If this is true maybe we could use the
crosshair when hovering over the grid of the spreadsheet? Send a request to
GTK team to include a fat cross on their icon set?

In the case of GNUmeric, I think they still use GTK2+. That is why they use
the fat cross for this purpose.

Thanks,
Nuno