automated watching for new releases of bundled external projects

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 13:01:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

as you might have noticed, I updated 7-8 external projects to the newest
version last week. That made me think that the current situation, when
many projects are updated only when someone notices that there has been a new
release, is not exactly ideal...

There is a way to automate the notification about new upstream releases:
use https://release-monitoring.org/ . It is used for update
notifications by Fedora and apparently also by Debian, Ubuntu and Mageia
(at least there are distribution mappings for them). As far as I
understand it, all what is needed is to run a script somewhere that
would listen on the message bus and take some action (send a mail to the
ML or file a bug) every time there's a new version of a project that
interests us (we would need to add new distribution mapping to these
projects, so they are distinguishable). The Fedora tool that files bugs
for new releases (but it does a lot of additional things too) is
https://github.com/fedora-infra/the-new-hotness/ .

Thoughts?

D.