system-wide location for dictionary files and dictionary file name format

Erik Quaeghebeur libreoffice at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Sun Feb 12 20:40:52 UTC 2017

Dear list,

I am working on improving the packaging of dictionary files for Gentoo
Linux. So I would like to find information about a couple of things
related to dictionaries. I have asked the same question on the user's
mailing list and the Q&A site, but did not receive any sufficiently
complete response. Gentoo's ‘stable’ version is 5.2, so I'd also be
interested to know if anything related to my questions differs between
5.2 and later.

My questions:

* Where are dictionary files stored when installed system-wide (so not
user-specific)? I have observed that LibreOffice looks in the
/usr/share/myspell directory (or is it /usr/share/hunspell?) and there
picks up dictionaries named xx_YY, but not others, such as xx or
xx-zzzzz.

* Given that oxt extension files dictionaries are typically made
available as contain dictionaries.xml and dictionaries.xcu files that
seem to be used by LibreOffice to correctly label them and associate
locales with, where should these files be put if the dictionaries are
installed system-wide? I've seen that user-specific, they are apparently
put in (for me) in locations such as
$HOME/.config/libreoffice/4/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/lu32329umnj1w.tmp_/some.oxt/,
which does not give an indication where they should be put system-wide.

* What files are effectively required by LibreOffice for proper
functioning dictionaries. I know that putting xx_YY.aff and xx_YY.dic
files and such in /usr/share/myspell makes them available, but I have
the impression that this in an incomplete way, and that, e.g., the xcu
and xml files should be made available as well. Is this true and are
there other files to be installed as well?

* Can dictionaries of the form xx or xx-zzzzz be used by LibreOffice
when installed in /usr/share/myspell, or is a _YY region identifier
really needed?

Best,

Erik