system-wide location for dictionary files and dictionary file name format

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 08:51:05 UTC 2017

On 02/12/2017 11:45 PM, Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> Hunspell is covered; I'm focusing on dictionary files (spelling,
> thesaurus, hyphenation). Let's consider the French dictionaries from
> their source <http://www.dicollecte.org/>. These contain fr-classique,
> fr-moderne, fr-toutesvariantes, and fr-reforme1990 spelling
> dictionaries. These are installed in /usr/share/hunspell and picked up,
> e.g., by Firefox. However, LO does not pick them up, apparently because
> their filenames are not of the form xx_YY, but of the form xx-zzzz. The
> oxt file distributed by dicollecte contains a dictionaries.xcu file and
> a Python script that deals with this when installed by the user, so not
> system-wide. What I want to achieve is that the xcu file and other
> relevant files are installed system-wide in such a way that LO picks
> them up and things work the same way as if the oxt file was installed
> per-user. *Where should I put those files?*

Any LO extension .oxt file (not just those relating to dictionaries) can
be installed in one of three ways, per user, "shared", or "bundled".

To install shared, run LO's 'unopkg --shared add ...' for installing
that extension.

To install bundled, unzip the .oxt into a sub-dir of LO's
share/extensions/ dir.