writing extensions in a functional language

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 10:28:23 UTC 2017

On 02/15/2017 12:12 PM, Gergely Buday wrote:
> I am interested in writing an extension to Libre Office, particularly Calc.
>
> I would like to do it in a functional language.
>
> My favourite is Standard ML and it is quite portable.
>
> How much work, i.e. how many lines of code would it be to write an
> interface for ML/LibreOffice?
>
> Where in the Libre Office source tree I can find the glue code for
> various extension languages?

There was a Google Summer of Code project in 2015 doing a UNO Haskell
binding.  See
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development/GSoC/Ideas&oldid=121170#Haskell_UNO_Language_Binding>
for high-level code pointers.  See
<https://github.com/jorgecunhamendes/haskell-uno-binding> for the
results (though still quite rough).

There is still an open GSoC project for a UNO Rust binding,
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development/GSoC/Ideas#Rust_UNO_Language_Binding>.

> Another option is to use Scala as it is possible to write extensions in
> Java and Scala can use Java libraries.
>
> Did anybody write a Libre Office extension in Scala?

Not that I know of.