Does anyone use windows

Jan Iversen jani at libreoffice.org
Thu Feb 16 18:33:13 UTC 2017

> On 16 Feb 2017, at 19:26, Abulfaz Ahmadov <abulfazahmadov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys!
> Does anyone of you use windows for libreoffice development?Do you have some experience with Visual studio 2015?It's written on set up page that it probabbly won't work,and it's recommended to use Visual studio 2013 with updates

We had a discussion about exact this theme at todays ESC meeting.

Some of us test VS 2015, but do not use it for production. If you look in the ESC minutes you will see:
——
* Bump master baseline from MSVC 2013 to 2015? (Stephan)
   + see mail <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2017-February/076966.html <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2017-February/076966.html>> “Support new and discontinue old compilers” from David O.
   + tried to contact all the buildbot / tinderbox owners
        + not contacted (Norbert)
             + installed 2015 on the box a year ago.
             + 64bit release worked, but all else failed.
        + Concerned that:
             + does release & dbgutil profiles build ?
             + VS 2013 parallel builds should work too – need to use 2013
        + bots using 2013 (Cloph, Thorsten)
        + failed try to build 2015 last week (Thorsten)
             + works for Stephan.
        + time to try it again.
   + Is 32bit tested ? - the concern here it seems.
        + otherwise eager to try again.
   + MSDN issue ? → solution to use Community Edition Visual Studio.
        + buy windows server licenses, scrape Office versions from here & there.
AI: + test build configuations (Norbert)
   + Is there any gain of functionality with 2015 ?
        + not that much (Stephan)
        + some unicode bits, some improved const_expr bits.
        + just avoiding technical debt.
        + de-duplicate python versions (Miklos)
   + Not aware of any loss of functionality (Stephan)
—

So right now VS 2013 is the recommend version, as I see it we are still a bit away from moving up to VS 2015. That being said you can work with VS2015, depending on your configuration.

rgds
jan I.