Various MacOS extension issues.

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 12:33:35 UTC 2017

On 02/23/2017 12:17 PM, adomasven wrote:
> 3. Since MacOS X El Capitan LibreOffice won't detect Oracle JREs and only
> works with JDK. We have instructions for MacOS users in Zotero
> documentation. I cannot find any bugs on the bugtracker
> https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#libreoffice_5_on_macos_1011no_response_from_plugin

See <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.1#OS_X>:

"New Issue: LibreOffice on OS X now requires installation of an Oracle
Java JDK for use of Base (HSQLDB) or any extensions authored in Java
(e.g. NLPSolver).

"Prior work arounds of having both an Apple JRE 6 and an Oracle JRE 8
are no longer sufficient. Use of the JDK is now hard coded, see
tdf#74877, tdf#94716 and core commit
32bc8ddbf335dd26019edcf12758643b4cff9913."

I'm not aware of a bug filed nor anybody actively working on making
detection of Oracle JRE (when Apple JRE is also installed, to make the
Oracle JRE usable) work again.  Seems more like everybody at LO's end is
sitting on their hands waiting for Oracle to fix their JRE bug, so we
can eventually revert that detect-JDKs-only fix-for-now.

> 5. Trying to launch an Xdebug server with Java JDK 1.8.0_121 to debug a Java
> extension throws an error "LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment
> (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select
> another version or install a new JRE and select it under LibreOffice -
> Preferences - LibreOffice - Advanced." I've followed these instructions
> https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Start_Parameters

What is an "Xdebug server"?  If you are talking about spawning LO's
soffice process from a Java process, a problem I could imagine is that
the Java process sets DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (or maybe some other env var) in
a way that tricks LO into finding a different Java installation than it
would normally do.  (This was a known problem with some versions of
Sun's Java on Linux, where the LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem is mitigated by
LO's javaldx helper program run from the soffice shell script.  I'm not
sure whether that problem persists in recent Oracle Java versions or has
meanwhile been fixed.)

[...]
> with any of these either. What is the current state of MacOS LO development
> and is it possible to get some love for the MacOS version?

You're invited to give that love, of course.