Various MacOS extension issues.

Adomas Venčkauskas adomas.ven at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:12:18 UTC 2017

On 23 February 2017 at 14:34, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/23/2017 12:55 PM, Adomas Venčkauskas wrote:
>
>>     I cannot recognise your timing, on my mac the example takes far less
>>     than a second.
>>

> Whom/what are you quoting here?

​Jan Iversen:​

On 23 February 2017 at 13:30, Jan Iversen <jani at libreoffice.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use LibreOffice daily on my Mac (Sierra), I happen to also be a
> developer and build LO for the Mac.
>

> 2. There are no decent ways to do debug logging on MacOS; none of the
> commandline options are available
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport/Debug_Information#
> Mac_OSX:_How_to_get_debug_information
>
> I normally work with versions compiled with —enable-debug, which give me
> plenty of debug.
>

> 4. Since MacOS Sierra LibreOffice is generally very slow. We have been
> getting reports of people having issues after performing a couple of
> actions
> with our extension, but there have been no changes on our end since 2015.
> Moreover, it seems that LibreOffice itself is terribly slow -- on my 2014
> MacBook Pro it takes some good 5 seconds to open Character..., Paragraph...
> or Bullets and Numbering... dialogs. On a 2016 linux machine with similar
> specs it's essentially instantaneous. There are some reports of this
> slowness online, but no bugs on the bugtracker that I could find.
> https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/79342/libreoffice-
> extremely-slow-in-mac-os-sierra/
> https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/77793/libreoffice-
> hangs-on-macos-sierra/
>
> I cannot recognise your timing, on my mac the example takes far less than
> a second.
>
> There was a startup issue, with libreoffice, but that has nothing to do
> with slow performance.
>
> What is the current state of MacOS LO development
> and is it possible to get some love for the MacOS version?
>

> We are some developers that work on Mac, so the love is there, but it
> seems a bit as if you have some other problems.
>
> rgds
> jan I.

​(this does not show up for me on Nabble, but I got it via the mailing list)

​On 23 February 2017 at 14:34, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:

> 5. Trying to launch an Xdebug server with Java JDK 1.8.0_121 to debug a
>> Java
>
> extension throws an error "LibreOffice requires a Java runtime environment
>
> (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select
>
> another version or install a new JRE and select it under LibreOffice -
>
> Preferences - LibreOffice - Advanced." I've followed these instructions
>
> https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Start_Parameters
>
> What is an "Xdebug server"?  If you are talking about spawning LO's
> soffice process from a Java process, a problem I could imagine is that the
> Java process sets DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (or maybe some other env var) in a way
> that tricks LO into finding a different Java installation than it would
> normally do.  (This was a known problem with some versions of Sun's Java on
> Linux, where the LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem is mitigated by LO's javaldx
> helper program run from the soffice shell script.  I'm not sure whether
> that problem persists in recent Oracle Java versions or has meanwhile been
> fixed.)

​Oracle Java provides a way to debug the JVM externally as described:
- https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Start_Parameters
​-
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13150_01/jrockit_jvm/jrockit/jrdocs/refman/optionX.html

I successfully managed to debug Zotero's Java based extension on Ubuntu
16.10 running LibreOffice 5.3.0.3 with JDK 1.8.0_121 by following
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Start_Parameters and connecting via
Eclipse. Note that I've started working with LO and Zotero extensions
without any prior LO development experience this week, so I am mostly
shooting in the dark here. Excuse my uninformedness. On Ubuntu the JVM with
the debugging server is initialized when I click one of the extension
buttons, which supposedly starts up JVM in LO as the extension is Java
based.