Post-Build Limited Functionality

Jason Marshall j_k_marshall_2004 at live.com
Sun Feb 26 23:30:27 UTC 2017

Dear Sir/ Madam

I have recently built LibreOffice on Lubuntu, with the call to 'make' having been preceded by successfully running 'sudo apt-get build-dep libreoffice' and then 'autogen.sh' with the following arguments:

--without-java--without-help--without-myspell-dicts

The actual build was interrupted a couple of times, but having been re-started, concluded with the following final output, which I am assuming signalled success:

[build ALL] top level modules: build-non-l10n-only build-l10n-only

I then called 'soffice' from the terminal, but was instructed by a message to install 'libreoffice-common', which I duly did with success.  Running 'soffice' resulted in libreoffice successfully starting and presenting the initial screen, where one is invited to open a file or else start one of the applications, such as Writer or Calc etc..  When I click to start one of the applications, nothing happens.  When I then go to open a template from this same start screen, LibreOffice crashes and presents me with the document recovery dialog box, stating the following:

Due to an unexpected error, LibreOffice crashed....

Within this dialog box, there is an empty list of files that will be recovered.

In the same vein as the above, I note that I cannot start the individual applications from the terminal.  For example, if I enter the following:

soffice --writer

The splash screen will appear and then disappear, but nothing further will happen, although control from the terminal is not returned to me, as if something is attempting to run.  At the same time, Lubuntu Task Manager identifies that 'soffice.bin' is running.

Does anybody have any idea as to why LibreOffice is not fully functioning following what appears to be a successful build?

Thank you.

Jason Marshall