Fwd: Re: Adding LibreOffice as project using APR

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 18:52:38 UTC 2017

On 01.07.2017 12:42, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi Sophia,
>
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 04:56:19PM +0200, Sophia Schroeder wrote:
>> May someone answer the last question here for me?
>> I am not familiar with the source code.
> [...]
>>> At a glance, I see you use APR through Serf.  Do you also
>>> use APR directly somewhere I didn't notice it?
>
> Default build is using neon, not serf. AOO uses serf per default,
> but....

AFAIK a (currently hypothetical) iOS port would presumably not be able
to use neon due to its LGPL license and Apple App Store's copyleft
licensing censorship regime, that's the main reason why the Serf module
and its dependencies (APR/APR-util) still exist.

APR is a low-level OS abstraction library, and we already have the
internal "sal" library for the same purpose, which is part of our public
ABI so we can't get rid of it anyway; also with C++11's standard library
additions a lot of this stuff is obsolete anyway.

but if you want to add LO to some wiki page, sure go ahead, nobody is
going to object to that :)