gettext, boost::locale, binary resource format and translations

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 15:40:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 15:23 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> 16. msgctxt gets dropped

Working through the consequences in test builds, this turns into
msgctxt doesn't get minimized instead of dropped, i.e.

we would go from a .po of...

msgctxt ""
"app.src\n"
"SV_APP_OSVERSION\n"
"string.text"
msgid "OS: "
msgstr "Betriebssystem:"

msgctxt "SV_APP_OSVERSION"
msgid "OS: "
msgstr "Betriebssystem:"

and existing translation entries in .hrc + .src go from

vcl/inc/svids.hrc
#define SV_RESID_STRING_NOSELECTIONPOSSIBLE          2001

vcl/source/src/menu.src
String SV_STR_FOO
{
    Text [ en-US ] = "No selection";
};

vcl/inc/strings.hrc
#define SV_STR_FOO NC_("SV_STR_FOO", "No selection")

with new ones recommended as giving human helpful contexts, e.g.

#define NEW_STRING NC("scrollbar|tooltip", "up")

and retrofit the current .ui file .po generated msgctxts back into the
context field of the .ui

I'm not finished my proposal yet, just updating on my new thinking
around retaining a msgctxt