LO 80731 - Incorrect syntax does compile, MID without end bracket

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 11:03:10 UTC 2017

On 06/28/2017 12:12 PM, Pierre Lepage wrote:
> The solution brings a lot of hassle for customers of the LibreOffice
> suite whose work relies on the performance of StarBasic macros written
> by third parties. Macros containing code in error by the absence of a
> closing parenthesis suddenly cease to function. For this reason, the
> patch has not been released. Here I want to explore a transitional
> solution by getting your feedback first. This is to include in StarBasic
> options dialog accessible to the client a "StarBasic Pragma Strict"
> option (checkbox) by which the client consciously activates the solution
> (the patch that has not been published!). This check box would be
> available for a few years with a warning to prompt programmers and
> customers to require their programmer to correct their default code on
> the closing parenthesis.

Another option might be to have some form of such a pragma in individual
BASIC source files, instead of as an IDE option.  (And have the pragma
enabled in the "REM ***** BASIC ****** Sub Main ... End Sub" boilerplate
that is automatically present in a fresh source file.)  That way, users
could enable it for their own, new code, while (implicitly) keeping it
off for non-conforming old, 3rd-party code.