GSoC status report - Improve VML/SmartArt import - weeks 3-4

Grzegorz Araminowicz g.araminowicz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:00:51 UTC 2017

Hi everyone!

I decided with my mentor to change scope of my project to importing
SmartArts.
At the beginning I spent a lot of time studying existing code and format
specification. Unfortunately there is not much materials and OOXML
documentation is very formal and hard to read.

There is already a good starting point. Current code builds tree of 'atoms'
that represent nodes in layout document. Next 'visitors' traverse the tree
executing specific actions (such as creating shape or laying out shape's
children). It's called visitor pattern.

Beside that I fixed one issue that prevented laying out shapes and now they
are displayed in fixed positions.
Currently I'm working on layout algorithm that applies suitable size and
position to each shape basing on diagram dimensions and constraints.

Regards,
Grzegorz Araminowicz