The uwinapi mess

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 7 10:14:53 UTC 2017

On 06.03.2017 14:12, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> And whether the uwinapi functionality is exported through the SDK is
> somewhat ill-specified:  For one, from the two commits mentioned above,
> it looks like at least the Duden extension depended on it in some form.
> For another, we provide include/systools/win32/snprintf.h in the SDK.
> (Traceable back to
> <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=6c7659b584ea7ed3652ca4eb9a2297f36310c365>
> "move URE headers to include/", April 2013; not sure if we even included
> more files from include/systools/win32/ prior to that.)

it definitely isn't exposed by the SDK, because there is no import lib
iuwinapi.lib, and IIRC there never was.

see: git log -S uwinapi -p odk

the only reason Duden extension used it is that it was built wrongly,
not with the SDK but in a setsolar environment.

> In the light of all the above, my suggestion now would be to discontinue
> uwinapi in LO 5.4.  Remove include/systools/win32/snprintf.h from the
> SDK and add to the release notes that that include file and uwinapi.dll
> itself (however 3rd party code would have been able to rely on it in the
> past) are gone.  This might mean that old extensions like the Duden one
> no longer work with 5.4, but presumably we already accidentally broke
> compatibility with those a while ago, anyway.  (And if/when we
> discontinue 32 bit builds of LO on Windows, support for such legacy
> extensions becomes moot anyway.)

i find it unlikely that there are extensions other than Duden that
require uwinapi.dll... most likely only that and Sun/Oracle extensions
were built in a setsolar environment, and i'm not sure if the Oracle
extensions that weren't historically part of the OOo repo, i.e. the
proprietary ones, were ever actually released, and since ~nobody bought
the product there probably weren't any users back then, much less today.

so regarding Duden: does that work anyway today?  if it was built in
setsolar env, doesn't it require the STLPort dll as well, which we
removed years ago?