Collecting User Statistics

Heiko Tietze tietze.heiko at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:45:18 UTC 2017

Hi Jaskaran,

most of these information are submitted when you access a web site, unless you actively use countermeasures. Therefore we know the percentage of users who stick to XP, what their average screen resolution is, and where they come from.

Much more interesting is how LibreOffice is being used. That starts with sessions, e.g. how often people open a module, how long is it open in average etc. And we are very interested in the actual interaction, meaning how often is "Clone Formatting" used, for example. Those data have been gathered during the project renaissance [1] and it was the basis for the recent menu and toolbar changes [2]. The data clearly needs an update.

Additionally to the overall statistics it would be interesting to go more into the details. As an example we could make decisions based on what function is followed most by an undo. If we go ahead with this approach the data storage becomes interesting. Consider a large number of users that submit all their interactions...

TDF did a tender in 2015 [3] but there wasn't too much interest in doing the work. But it's still a topic. And AFAIK we have something implemented. Some interactions (or just the summary?) is stored when a command-line switch is set. But don't remember exactly.

I would really appreciate if you would work on this topic.

Cheers,
Heiko

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
[2] https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2016/01/22/way-down-in-the-libreoffice-menus/