Some baseline thoughts

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 11:48:25 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:20:54PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> *  GCC 4.7 (<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=e4b24c7399352642aeaeb412394d6230562d04d2>
> "configure: GCC 4.6 is no longer supported on master")

openSUSE stable/SLE still defaults to gcc-4.8 (4.8.5), so depending on
4.9 or newer is a bit uncomfortable for those users (including me).

> Bumping this to macOS 10.9 would get rid of the last known case of
> !HAVE_THREADSAFE_STATICS (cf. <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=aa2fbfc4faa24cf7ee5aa9afdafddbd536ac4fec>
> "Found out that Mac OS X 10.9 has working threadsafe statics").  What is
> unknown however is the status on Android and iOS.  Having
> HAVE_THREADSAFE_STATICS everywhere would allow to clean up code, see e.g.
> <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/35258/> "replace double-checked-locking
> with C++11 static initializer".

master-android$ grep -R THREADSAFE config_*/*.h
config_build/config_global.h:#define HAVE_THREADSAFE_STATICS 1
config_host/config_global.h:#define HAVE_THREADSAFE_STATICS 0

But this is not set in stone, quite possibly the Android toolchain (NDK,
which provides the C++ cross-compiler) can be updated to a newer
version, and then the problem will go away. (See
"with_android_ndk_toolchain_version=4.9" in configure.ac.)

Regards,

Miklos