Help system improvements (II)

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at libreoffice.org
Mon May 29 16:03:07 UTC 2017

Hi guys

I have worked in a new implementation of the Help online. The strategy
was to batch "flatten" all XHP into HTML files with an offline
transformation using xsltproc.

(by "flatten", I mean resolve all embeds in XHP files)

see http://vm173.documentfoundation.org

This way all displayed files are now HTML with minimal javascript. No
more on-line XSLT transformation and their associate issues (delays) and
poor debug.

Advantages:
1) preserve all XHP files as-is, authoring tools, DTD.
2) preserve current translation workflow
3) all files turned to HTML static, with minimum Javascript
4) much faster load times, browser cache  used.
5) Honors parameters &System and &DbPAR
6) URL bookmarking in browser (Ctrl-D)
7) Page navigation back and forth with browser buttons
8) preserve current HC2 in LibreOffice (see 1).
9) resolved <switchinline><caseinline> for &System and &DbPAR (aka module).
10) maintained Fabio's bookmark search solution.
11) index-able by search engines (XHP files were unknown to robots).
12) pages can be directly accessed: e.g.
http://localhost/text/scalc/01/04060106.html?DbPAR=CALC#bm_id3153114
13) can hold Google search snippet in TopRight area (To do)

Disadvantages (Most are further work):
1) issue with offline use (file://path/to/pages/)

To do:
1) batch create html of localized pages, localized bookmarks
2) Resolve missing images paths (Icons are in core/icon-themes/)
3) Resolve protocol file:// for offline use (hit CORS guideline
restriction for browsers)
4) provide better layout for bookmarks in the left pane
5) work on web CSS to make it beautiful
6) Clean up the XSLT filter, set a debug param.
7) more

Kendy: should I put it as patch to gerrit?

regards
--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator