minutes of ESC call ...

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 09:53:17 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 10:05:05AM +0100, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> The only way I see how we can reach that goal of zero future reformatting
> commits is to have the invariant that all commits to the central git repo
> are enforce-formatted (after one round of "big noise" reformatting any
> existing source code, if we ever get there). Therefore, I am not interested
> in experiments that cover some subset of the git repo's files but are done
> in a way that they don't guarantee that invariant over that subset.  My fear
> is that such experiments will increase the level of noise in the repo,
> instead of helping to keep it flat at its historical level.

So in case some mechanism in gerrit and (for those who decide to push
directly and have clang-format installed locally) the pre-commit git
hook is in place, that addresses this concern, I hope.

Seeing the recent thread "Gerrit Code-Review +1 / -1" (from Kendy), I
hope not only the git hook part, but also the gerrit part will be a
reality in the near future.

Regards,

Miklos