32bitjavacrash workaround?

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Wed Nov 8 09:30:40 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 11:48:08AM +0000, Kaganski Mike wrote:
> As the java's stack management still is the problem for LibreOffice on
> Linux [1], I had an idea (disclaimer: I use Windows for development, and
> I have no Java experience, so I don't volunteer for the hardest part):
>
> Currently we have a test for working OpenCL implementation, that
> launches on certain conditions to disable its use if test is failed.
>
> Cannot we do the same for Java? E.g., spawn a separate process, that
> would do something simple with Java, which is known to segfault on the
> problem, and on failure, disable using the selected JVM (and show a
> warning)? And launch the test at first run (on user's profile creation);
> on JVM selection in advanced options; after a crash (in recovery).
>
> Does that make sense? I suppose it could avoid having blacklists of
> Java+kernel combinations etc, and be good for end users that suffer from
> the crashes: they would both not avoid crashes, and be informed.

Yeah, though OpenCL is optional, while Base and NLPSolver require Java
But it would definitely help for the Writer case, which just crashes when
opening a document when the Wiki Publisher is installed because that one
gets initialized..

FWIW, no idea whether that is Debian/Ubuntu-specific but:

openjdk-9 (9.0.1+11-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * OpenJDK 9.0.1+11 release.
[...]
  * Fix crashes in i386 applications using JNI due to Hotspot workaround for
    Exec Shield (Ben Hutchings). Closes: #876069.
[...]

 -- Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com>  Fri, 27 Oct 2017 01:44:31 +0200

fixing https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=876069 filed against
OpenJDK for exactly this issue...